Monday, November 15, 2010

What's next?

As 2010 starts to wind down, I look back on it with some pride. I have finally, at the age of 45, become an amateur puppeteer. Is being an amateur a bad thing?
Not really.

I recall a line from Ken Nordine's "Adult Kindergarten", "No one lives long enough to be anything but an amateur."
Perhaps if I had followed my passion for puppetry back in the 80's or 90's I may be able to pay the bills with it. Then it could have become a "career" rather than a hobby.
Careers have always scared me, I have followed several of them and never really been very happy to where they have taken me. Whereas hobbies are doing something I love for the pleasure of it, nothing else. Sure, some hobbies may lead you to grand and wonderful places to meet fun and exciting people. I am up for that journey, as long as they aren't wearing suits and neck ties when I get there.

As I move this little puppet troupe into 2011, I have begun to research puppet friendly venues to perform the show. Nothing solid to report just quite yet, however there are a few promising possibilities on the horizon.

I can tell you that I will be performing "Lil' Red Sasquatch Hood" at a private holiday party for my fellow Cincinnati Area Puppetry Guild members next month. I have been a CAPG member since 2001, when I began to focus my creative energy towards puppetry. They are the nicest puppet people I have met, and it will be a pleasure to perform for my puppetry guild.

No comments: