Friday, October 15, 2010

HEY KIDS! Have you tried this new cereal?!?

When I was a boy my mother rarely purchased any cereal that was sweetened. Most breakfasts were oatmeal, homemade granola (I grew up in the 60's & 70's), or even pancakes. I dreamed of being pumped up on any breakfast cereal that was pitched by an animated sales character.

When I started earning my own spending money delivering newspapers at the age of ten I knew what I would buy: Comic books, candy, and Cap'n Crunch cereal. Who cared if it ripped the roof of your mouth up? It was sweet! Soon I found a Cap'n Crunch clone cereal called Freakies (remember it was the 70's). The animated commercials were cool, the jingle snappy, and there was a plastic toy inside! I loved Boss Moss, and would draw the Freakies for classmates in 4th grade.

So as I put my puppet show together over the past 9 (!!!) years, I knew that it had to have a "sponsor". We know that all great kid's shows from my youth were "brought to you by (read "buy")" Kelloggs of Battlecreek, General Mills, or Post.

As an adult I've learned that the cereal companies practically bankrolled Saturday Morning cartoons. Why shouldn't the Wump Mucket Puppets have a "sponsor" that the puppets can chat about?

Why not indeed!

Ladies and Gentlemen! Boys and Girls, I present the sweet cereal to top ALL sweet cereals!

Photobucket
SUPER SUGAR CRUNCHY THINGS HAVE ARRIVED!

Now before you call the FDA, remember...it's only a puppet show. I think I'm going to get some miles of this gag gang, at least until some kid tries to get their parents to buy a box at the supermarket!

Photobucket
Eleanor wants the FREE Krunchy Kat Comic that is inside each specially marked box.

No comments: